- Butter a baking dish, lightly butter six slices of stale bread, and cut into triangles
- Arrange in a dish sprinkling sultanas (or current) on each layer.
- Beat three eggs, add roughly half pint of milk and beat again. Then beat in one tablespoon of caster sugar and the grated rind of a lemon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the dish and leave for 30mins
- Bake in oven 180C or mark 4 for 30 to 40 min
Christmas is coming and I’m already having to wear my woolly hat. As my wife and I had been away at the weekend, we hadn’t been able to use up our bread and it had therefore dried out and gone stale. As we try to avoid wasting food, my wife decided to make a bread and butter pudding. That way we were able to use up the bread and we got to enjoy a tasty dessert. A win-win. Unfortunately, food waste is a problem we all face. Sometimes we don’t know what to do with the stale bread in our cupboards, or leftover veg from the night before. That’s why we would like to collect recipes that Reading folk have for using up leftovers and surplus food. Indeed, this will be one of the projects TRSC will be working on in the coming year. So, if you have any leftover recipes that you or maybe your grandparents have used, we would love to hear from you. P.S. If you ever find yourself with a loaf of stale bread, I’d definitely recommend making a bread and butter pudding. Here is our recipe: