The Reading Sustainability Centre is currently pursuing its goals through a number of activities:
- Reading Hydro: This is our biggest project to date, with the potential to have a real impact on Reading’s renewable energy future
- Visitor centre and collaborative space: Although more of a distant prospect than we would have liked, the idea of a exemplar sustainable eco-education building linked to the hydro project remains a firm goal. Although the building may be further away, we are continuing to work with partners to develop a range of activities that an eco-education centre could ultimately support, and vice versa.
- Energy advice: Helping people in Reading to reduce the amount of energy they use at home, and with it their energy bills, through information and the support of DraughtBusters.
- ‘Pop-up’ exhibitions, talks and visits: Freed from the shackles of a building we are looking for opportunities to ‘pop-up’ with exhibitions, talks and workshops. We plan to use these as opportunities to try out approaches that might be part of a future eco-education centre.
- Learning communities: We are interested in understanding how we can best support the learning of communities in Reading that are developing sustainability projects. These might be schools, neighbourhoods, groups of employees or businesses.
This is our initial list. Over time we will review the weight we give to each, and perhaps add or replace them with others. Keep an eye on this page, and do let us know what you think should be the priorities.