Click here for Reading Hydro website
Reading Hydro is an ambitious project to build a hydro-electric scheme on Caversham Weir, and operate it as a community owned asset.
In February 2016 the Reading Sustainability Centre was granted the Environment Agency licences required to operate a hydro project on Caversham Weir. A separate community benefit society, called Reading Hydro, has since been established to take forward the development, and ultimately operation, of the hydro project. In May 2017 Reading Hydro CBS was given the planning permission needed to go ahead with the scheme.
Find out more, including how to get involved, by visiting the dedicated Reading Hydro web site: http://hydro.readinguk.org
Recent Reading Hydro news
- reading Hydro CBS AGM 02/02/2018 Come along to Reading Hydro’s 2nd AGM, hear updates, get involved, celebrate the progress we have made! We’ll be sharing where we’re up to with the project and reflect what we have done towards our objectives. Then carry on building on this together. If you are not already a member you are more than welcome to join ...
- Hydro Scheme Gets Planning permission 18/05/2017 Reading community hydropower project gets go ahead from planning Community group Reading Hydro has received planning permission to install two water turbines at Caversham Weir. We expect to begin construction early next year. The hydro turbines are expected to generate about 380 MWh of electricity each year, enough for 100 average homes. This will prevent 150 tonnes ...
- EA licences 22/02/2016 We are delighted to report that the Environment Agency has just granted the water abstraction and impoundment licences for the hydro.
- Some good news 18/12/2015 There is some good news, as we had hoped, the pre accreditation of Feed in Tariffs have been reintroduced as a part of the consultation process.
- FiTs review December 2015 17/12/2015 Centre for Sustainable Energy Newsflash: DECC announce FIT consultation results